Skip to main content

Hackney iCare

A residential care home provides accommodation, meals and personal care for older people, people with disabilities, or people who are unable to manage at home, for whatever reason.

The level of care varies from home to home, but the Government defines it as the kind of care you would receive from a competent and caring relative.

This includes:

  • help with eating
  • washing
  • bathing
  • dressing and toilet needs
  • caring for you if you become ill

However, residential care does not include nursing care.

See the information below for advice and guidance or search the directory for local care homes / residential care.

Needs assessment

The decision to recommend a residential or nursing home will only be made after a needs assessment.

You can also consider homes in other local authority areas if your needs will be better met there.

Needs assessment


self-assessment gives you the choice to assess your own care needs or carry out a referral on behalf of someone else.

Complete a self-assessment

Choosing a home

When choosing a home, it is important to make sure that you choose one that will be right for you both now and in the future. You can get advice and information to help you make this important decision from:

  • your social worker or care manager
  • a district nurse
  • a health visitor
  • your family doctor

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) are regulators of health and adult social care in England, including care homes.

Search the directory for a care home and view details published by the CQC about a service.

Paying for your stay in a home

The majority of people will have to pay something towards the cost of their stay, a sum that is calculated using Department of Health guidelines. Some people may fund their stay with no financial assistance from the Council - this is self funding.

Our guide to financial arrangements for your stay in a residential care home will give you a better understanding of the financial aspect of residential or nursing care homes.

Financial assessment

For a financial assessment, please complete and submit the financial assessment form.

Other support available

The Council may arrange residential or nursing home care for elderly people and people with disabilities who are unable to manage at home.

We can provide this service directly through Median Road Resource Centre and also provide supported living accommodation through our supported living schemes.

Heart icon Services near you

Back to top

Emergency help icon Emergency help

Directory A-Z